We recently hit a major milestone in our trip as we crossed the 90 day mark while in Bangkok, Thailand. Seeing as we are almost a third of the way into our journey we thought it would be fun to reflect on all of our travel experiences to date and take a pause to compare some of our best experiences across countries.
- Since leaving the USA on April 12, 2016 we have traveled more than 43,000 km (26,600 miles).
- 84% was by air transport, 12% by train, and 4% by car or other (e.g. bus, taxi).
- On average, we walk 7.5 miles per day, with many days over 10 miles when we are doing day hikes or treks.
- We have visited six countries and lodged overnight in 32 different cities. That’s an average of only three nights in any one city or specific place per stay. Imagine packing up your entire lives into backpacks every three nights!
Budget-wise, Japan has been the most expensive country that we have visited. This is mostly due to the rail-passes that we acquired – while they saved us a lot of money, they were still one of the largest purchases we have made. Vietnam has been the least expensive country where it is feasible to get by on less than $50 per day. We have saved a lot of money (vs budget) by using member rewards points (e.g. Hilton, Marriott) and through the use of AirBnB. Natalie is working on an article specific to how we have saved money while traveling that we plan to publish soon.
- Hiking the Great Wall of China at Jinshanling - near Beijing, China.
- Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef - Cairns, Australia.
- Overnight Cruise - Halong Bay, Vietnam.
- Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferry from Wellington to Picton - New Zealand.
- Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan.
- Milford Sound - New Zealand.
- Staying in a Ryokan - Mt Koya, Japan.
- View from the tallest observation deck in the world, Shanghai Tower - Shanghai, China.
- Wanaka, New Zealand
- Kyoto, Japan
- Wellington, New Zealand
- Tokyo, Japan
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Grand Hyatt – Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Hilton Niseko – Niseko, Japan
- Ryokan - Mt Koya, Japan
- Crowne Plaza - Xi’an, China
- AirBnB - Palm Beach, Australia
- Nugget Point - Queenstown, New Zealand
- Tramping in New Zealand (Queenstown Track)
- Wine Tastings & Biking in Marlborough, New Zealand
- Hiking the Great Wall of China
- Miyajima Island Hike, Japan
- Surfing on The Gold Coast, Australia
- Cooking Classes, Vietnam and Thailand
- Kayaking in Halong Bay, Vietnam
- Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- Onsen bath, Niseko, Japan
- Star Ferry, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Noodles, Muslim Quarter, Xi’an, China
- Grilled fish at Cha Ca Thang Long, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Seafood and wine pairings at Wairau River Vineyard Lunch, Blenheim, New Zealand
- Pad Thai and Curry at Kalpapruek, Bang Rak, Bangkok, Thailand
- Venison in Fox Glacier, New Zealand
- Tsukiji Market Sushi, Tokyo, Japan
- Peking Duck, Beijing, China
- Ramen in Ramen Alley, Sapporo, Japan
- Gelato at Gelato Messina - Coolangatta, Australia
- Cream Puffs - Otaru, Japan
- Egg Aberdeen - Shanghai, China
- Mango with Sweet Sticky Rice - Bangkok, Thailand
- Coffee Jelly - Takayama, Japan
- Coconut coffee, Cong Caphe - Hanoi, Vietnam
- The Tiller Coffee - Brisbane, Australia
- Z Coffee - New Zealand
- Egg Coffee - Hanoi, Vietnam
- Flat White - Sydney, Australia
- Yona Yona Ale (Yo-Ho Brewing) - Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- XPA (Balter Brewing Company) - Brisbane, Australia
- Weizen (Hida Takayama Brewery) - Takayama, Japan
- The Second Barrel IPA (The Catchment Brewing Co) - Brisbane, Australia
- Bia Hoi (fresh beer) - Hanoi, Vietnam
- Wine Tastings, Napier, New Zealand
- Wine Tastings, Marlborough, New Zealand
- Garage Project Brewery, Wellington, New Zealand
- Harushika Brewery (Sake Brewery), Nara, Japan
- The Catchment Brewery, West End, Australia
- One-way tickets can cause airlines & customs officials heartburn.
- Efficient trains are better than planes.
- Smiles are universal.
- Research basic travel norms (e.g. taxis and toilets) before you go.
- It never hurts to ask.